Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Remote-Controlled Flow Cytometry Part 2


I wrote previously about a new tool the flow lab employs called LogMeIn (see previous post here). This utility is great, but what happens if the instrument you want to control through the logmein web interface is off? Well you'd want to be able to remotely power-on the equipment from a remote location. After doing a bunch of searches on this topic, I can up with a remote power controller that has it own ip address. The box I ended up purchasing is called iboot. You basically plug the instrument into the iboot box, then plug the box into a wall outlet and a network jack. You type in the url of the box into your favorite browser, and a crude power on/ power off interface appears. Of course, it's password protected, so only you will be able to power your instrument on and off. We started using this on our FACSAria and we really enjoy it. Now, from my house, I can power on the instrumet through iboot, open up the software through logmein, do a fluidics startup, start the stream and then drive in to work. By the time I get in to work, the instrument is warmed up, and the fluidics have stabilized. This means that we don't have to waste time in the morning setting up when we can be sorting. It now takes about 5 minutes to prepare for the 1st sort of the day, instead of 30 minutes previously.

5 comments:

  1. hey there,

    I use another remote access tool called NTRconnect (www.ntrconnect.com) which allows me to remotely switch on my computer with a some simple configuration changes in the BIOS... I love it! It has both free and payed versions, and since it's cheap, I'm using the "pro" (i.e. not free) one. It's definitely worth the cash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a great idea since I have two arias and 2 canto's that I would like to start up from home. I called BD and they said I needed a box that would be able to deliver 20 amps. Whic box did you purchase?. The single or the multiple strip?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used the basic, one plug iboot setup. I know it says the output max is about 12Amps, but that should be plenty for a 2 or 3 laser Canto or Aria. I don't have the computer plugged into it, just the instrument. Most of my systems also use house air, so not having the compressor running probably decreases the amperage necessary. You could probably use a amp meter to measure more precisely, but I plug my Aria into a 15Amp circuit anyway, it has never been a problem. I'm thinking it should be fine for most commonly used setups.

    ReplyDelete